|things to do|
|Holy Trinity Scottish Episcopal Church, Stirling|
If you're a visitor to Stirling, we invite you to come and see inside our beautiful church building. It's the only Episcopal church in Stirling and our fascinating history is displayed for all to see in its memorials and stained glass.
Built to the design of the renowned Scottish architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson between 1875 and 1878, this is a fine, little-altered example of the Victorian Gothic style of church architecture. Inside, it contains a remarkable collection of twenty-two stained glass windows, some of which are described as 'outstanding' in the Pevsner Architectural Guide, a remarkable set of memorial tablets dating back to the early 19th century and a Memorial Chapel created by Sir Robert Lorimer in 1920-21 which includes a wood-carved Roll of Honour. Information on these memorials and windows, including biographical details and photographs of many of the people commemorated, are at www.holytrinitystirling.org.
Open on Saturdays during summer months. Dates and times are announced at www.holytrinitystirling.org.
Also open for services at 11:00 on Fridays and 10:30 on Sundays throughout the year, but visitors must be willing to take part in the service.
Admission is free but donations are accepted gratefully.
|The Church of the Holy Rude, Stirling|
|St John Street, STIRLING FK8 1ED|
|Tel/Fax: 01786 475275|
Begun in the early 15th century and still with its original oak roof beams, this is one of Scotland's finest medieval parish churches.
The Reformation was far more extreme in Scotland, the destruction of medieval buildings more thorough. The Calvinists not only rejected ornaments in places of worship, but the churches themselves. The Holy Rude is one of the few medieval parish churches to have escaped destruction, losing its ornamentation, but the basic fabric of the church survived intact.
Open daily: 11:00 - 16:00,
|The Parish Church Bridge of Allan|
|Keir Street, Bridge of Allan|
|Tel: 01786 834155 or 01786 832093 for further information|
|The Parish Church is an attractive Victorian building which was built on it's present site in 1858. The church has fine stained glass windows and an unusual roof design.|
In 1904, the famous Scottish architect, Charles Rennie Mackintosh designed the chancel furniture of pulpit, organ screen, communion table and choir stall. Carved in light oak and using natural plant forms interpreted in flutes and ovals in related parts of the furniture, it is described as one of the most intricate of Mackintosh's designs. Mackintosh became involved at The Parish Church through his partner John Honeyman of Honeyman and Kepple Architects, to whom Mackintosh was first apprenticed in 1889.
|Open on Saturdays June, July and August 10am to 4pm|
Admission is free but donations to church maintenance are gratefully accepted
|Please note that if there is a wedding taking place, the church will be closed for a short period.|
|A service of worship is held every Sunday at 11am.|
|From mid June to late August there is an informal service at 10am. Further information is available by phoning the Church Office on 01786 834155.|
|St. Mark's Parish Church of Scotland|
|Drip Road, Raploch FK8 1RE|
|Tel 01786 473716 for further information|
Services every Sunday at 10.50am
During the years, 1935 to 1943 the birth of our Church as we know it today was taking place. Discussions between Stirling Presbytery, the Home Mission Committee of the Church of Scotland as it was then and the Kirk Session of The Church of the Holy Rude, Stirling resulted in the erection of a Church Hall on Drip Road providing a place of worship for the people in the Raploch.
The first minister was ordained to the church on 2nd January 1938 and the new Church and accommodation was built in early Gothic style using stone from Auchinlea. The opening service was on 11th January 1938 and at that time the church was named:- Church of Holy Rude - Raploch Church. On the 1st January 1943 the Church entered a new phase in it's history. It became a full Church Extension Charge under a new name - Stirling St. Mark's having its second minister ordained on the 31st of January 1943.
In March 1961 the present day building was agreed in principle and the foundation stone laid in May 1964 with the opening service taking place on 31st March 1966. The Church has within it five stained glass windows.
|*Home*Accommodation*Days Out*Sightseeing*Getting Here*|
*Food and Drink*What's On*Shops*Walks*Events*Young People*The Future*
|© in Stirling. All rights reserved.|